View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2003, 3:29 pm   #1
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Tuning gang mounting bushes

I bought a Pilot 75 at a car boot sale a year or so ago and I've just finished it. Basically the set was working but rather 'tired' in appearance. A good clean up and complete restoration to the cabinet plus replacement of all the waxy capacitors and it is a very good set.

One problem I had was that the tuning gang is mounted on three rubber bushes and they had gone hard. This caused the gang to move about whilst tuning - not good for accurate tuning! When I removed the gang I found that these bushes were quite thick; far more so than a normal grommet. However improvisation is the order of the day in many cases, as long as it's tidy!

I found three grommets that fitted the holes nicely and then glued a washing machine hose washer each side of the three grommets using rubber solution from a puncture repair outfit. This built up the thickness of the grommets just right to allow the special screws to be fitted, and allowed the gang to rest on the bushes when the screws were tightened. Once everything was back together and the pointer aligned, the tuning was perfect.

Maybe this will help someone else who is wondering what to do with a loose tuning gang.

The set cost £7.50 at a local boot sale and now looks and sounds like new.

Rich.

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 27th Dec 2004 at 12:56 pm. Reason: Fix link or code for vBulletin