View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2019, 5:53 pm   #7
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: Vintage Electrolux vacuum cleaner (Model Z25)

Yes, you're right about the metal tube. I remember as a child my mother having a 1950s Electrolux, the one with the crocodile effect covering to the case, also now long gone. I well remember as a child the motor burning out while in use and filling the room with smoke. I remember it being tried again and making a lot of noise and running slow and being able to see a firework display of sparks from the 'blow' end before the smoke started again!

I know it's been discussed before on this forum regarding the various different mains supply voltages in the UK, both AC and DC, with some derived from the underground railways and tram systems in London etc. Also, from the supplies used in various coal mines from generating systems to supply the mining villages, possibly all using various different supply voltages. Searching on-line, I found a couple of different voltage plate pictures, one I think for 230 volts and another for 110 volt 60 c/s. I suppose that it's possible that my cleaner could have been up-rated with either another motor or replacement armature, it doesn't sound particularly stressed when running on what would now be 'over-voltage'.

It perhaps ought to be serviced properly. I read in an old instruction leaflet for my particular cleaner that I found on-line, that my model didn't deed regular oiling of the bearings like other models did, but would need returning to a service department for the bearings to be re-packed with grease around every two years. Mine does sound smooth and quiet when running, but would maybe benefit from some lubrication after all this time, so I'd need to try a bit harder to tackle that sealed screw!

I did the dirty deed and washed the bag last night and it didn't fall apart, but it's still hanging up drying, so we'll have to see. I never power something like this up inside the house until it's thoroughly clean, as you never know what contaminants you're likely to be spreading around the house. I've only had it running either outside, or just inside the doorway with the blowing end pointing out through the door. I'm debating whether to also wash the output filter, but it may ruin it - pity I can't find an old stock, new replacement - I read in those instructions that it recommended replacing the filter every two months and immediately BURNING the old one!

There's method in my madness buying this cleaner. As well as being a nice vintage item, it will be used as a reserve 'blower' for blowing the dust and muck out of vintage items. My other blower is a large 'bin' type cleaner with a rather unusual wide bore hose which is gradually falling apart and is more repair tape than original hose - every time I use it the hose breaks and I have to add yet more tape to it, so I can retire it for a while and use this latest one. However, the hose with this cleaner isn't perfect. It's gone a little bit stiff and bits are falling out of it, so although good on the outside, the inside could be starting to break up, but at least it's a more standard size, so I can always adapt with hose that I've already got.

The picture below shows the bag and filter before I decided to wash the bag. The second picture shows the instruction leaflet that I found a picture of somewhere on-line, can't remember exactly where, but it's for the Australian market, so could be some differences with supplied accessories perhaps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1130374.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	194331   Click image for larger version

Name:	Electrolux Z 25.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	194332  

Last edited by Techman; 24th Nov 2019 at 6:02 pm.