Heptode

Default Re: Bush DAC90A FM Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by agardiner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobhowe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by agardiner View Post
I am also looking forward to hearing how you get on, having ordered some of David's modules.

I have previously converted a few DAC90A sets - some to FM and one to DAB, using the also excellent modules from HSE. Plenty of owners have DAC90 sets, and love the idea of being able to listen to their everyday stations on them!
Hi did your conversion use the original valves and tuning capacitor
Yes. The HSE adapter replaces only the mixer valve (UCH42 in the DAC90A), so obviously you lose the AM bands. It receives the FM signal, tuning with the original capacitor and then re-modulates the signal onto an AM IF carrier, so the remainder of the set is still used.

I really like the look of David's modules, but think there is also a place for the HSE ones. Easier to integrate the HSE module particularly in a live chassis and series heater chain, as you don't need to consider power. That said, they have to be built for the particular set and obviously cost a lot more.

Each set/customer is different, so it is great to have both solutions available. I think the demand for FM and indeed DAB conversions will only increase with time.
Glad that there is now options to keep radios that can work on the way that were made and not ruined by the smart speaker & Squirrel cage light bulb muppets