View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2019, 11:35 pm   #13
MrBungle
Dekatron

Default Re: Micro-Porous film for PCB masks - Homecrafts closing down!

I love these PCB threads. It is indeed fun making them. And yours are right up there with the best.

However I've been really lazy recently. I've got the whole UV set up (I advertised it on here for sale but no one wanted it) but it's been JLCpcb all the way. In fact I just ordered one a minute ago from my hotel room for an OCXO replacement board for a Racal 9915 counter I've been working on

One interesting diversion. I did find a Drew Diamond book at a radio rally and there was an approach for one off boards which involved using packing tape (3M brown parcel tape). You scrub the board clean, dry it, stick brown tape on it, rub it flat, draw the design out with a sharpie (or transfer with carbon paper from a printed design), then cut round it with a scalpel and peel off the bits you want to etch off.

Sceptical at first, I tried it on a one off board. I was proven wrong. Despite my etching tank being a kitchen sink full of hot water with a jam jar with a bit of FeCl in it and some jiggling by hand, the etch was actually excellent and incredibly clean, only let down by my freehand drawing.

Great for the occasional one off if you don't need too much definition. I imagine you could do something with a laser cutter table in this space as well cheaply. A DVD drive laser will quite happily zap a hole through the tape (I tried with one I was playing with a few years ago).

Need to work out a cheap way of tinning now. I'm too much of a cheap old git to buy some tinning crystals!