View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2017, 12:48 pm   #175
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Default Re: 807 (maybe) amplifier build. Now EL34

My datasheet interpretation skills are lacking as is my understanding in depth of most circuits, so i'm slightly in the dark a lot of the time. Still, i pick up a bit more every day thanks to your help.

One aspect that I'm slightly hazy on is on the subject of heater supplies. In one of my threads someone, can't remember who said "Nothing inside a valve should be floating"

I have four separate htr supplies; two for three EL34's, one for the ECC83 gain stage and ECC82 PS and one for the cathode followers. So with this advice in mind I've paid attention to referencing each supply.

The cathode followers as they're direct coupled need a 100v reference from a resistive divider, no worries there.

For the gain stage and PS I'm going to use 12.6v DC, so as I see it it could be referenced two ways. By a center tap or humdinger at the tfmr end or strap the DC rectified/regulated supplies negative to ground. The latter seems best and as a bonus free's up a pin on the power socket.

I've not seen power valve htr's referenced to ground, but is it advisable to do so?

Thanks Colin for your kind words, much appreciated as is any thoughts or advice from you all.

Andy.