View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2017, 8:43 pm   #165
turretslug
Dekatron

Default Re: 807 (maybe) amplifier build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
I could interpret that data sheet as meaning you can pass 5A through each contact, on all contacts simultaneously.

Having seen those connectors on Tekky plug-ins, I could easily believe they will carry 5A on each contact. They are not going to be rated at 300mA/pin. And it makes little sense for the current per pin to go down as the number of pins increases.
That would be my take on things, too. I suspect that the "5A on all contacts simultaneously" is as much to do with overall permissible dissipation in a confined volume as much as anything. I've seen other multipole connectors where they might be rated at, say, 5A, Y poles, but if more than a certain percentage in a multipole assembly were carrying less than a given current, then the maximum current for the remainder might be relaxed to, say, 7A or somesuch. The manufacturer comes up with a connector to suit as many applications as possible but some users might only use a couple of poles for power supply, the remaining ones for signal. Others might use every pole to carry appreciable current. What's unfortunate here is that the maximum individual pin current isn't quoted, it's a rather sparse sheet from that point of view.