View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2018, 12:55 pm   #64
wd40addict
Octode

Default Re: Oil for sintered bearings

OK, progress so far: Unfortunately I had to wrap this up a bit quicker than I would have liked due to a sudden influx of relatives!

In the end I used REGZ22 oil which is allegedly 10 SAE with no additives and comes with an amazing spout. It's possibly too thin meaning gravity plays a part, but time was against me.

Anyway, I soaked the felt pads in the oil and reassembled the bearings. I nipped the lock nuts up tight-ish, but did not centre punch them. They were thus fairly free to self align. I then re-installed them in the machine and then kept running it, occasionally stopping it to apply more oil courtesy of amazing spout. This was slowly absorbed and the flywheel is now free running like never before.

Access once installed is so poor I couldn't use Graham's suggestion of tightening in situ.

If I had to do it again I'd probably try soaking the oilites in additive free SAE 30 for 24hours, with heat if possible.

I would also echo the advice given above in the thread about not oiling unless necessary. The oilites on my Cossor flywheel are still working fine after 60 years.

Last edited by wd40addict; 17th Aug 2018 at 1:21 pm.