View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2018, 9:09 pm   #15
mhennessy
Dekatron

Default Re: Quick-and-dirty testgear: mains voltage monitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie_m View Post
Voltage dropping capacitors do not need to be Class X rated, since there is a series resistance. In fact, the self-healing property required for Class X is undesirable in this application.
The jury is still out on this one. It's quite complicated when you start peeling back the layers...

Yes, some types of X2 caps can slowly lose capacitance with time - that issues crops up on the forum from time to time. But not all do. Good quality plastic film types that are properly encapsulated have been 100% reliable in my experience. But of course, those aren't what are used at this end of the market.

So if you decide to not use a self-healing X2 type, you've got quite a tricky design problem on your hands. Surges are inevitable, and there are 2 places where these end up.

The series resistance (low 100s of ohms) is the obvious one. But if you use a film resistor here - like these cheap products always do - it's guaranteed to fail in normal use (after only a year or two IME). So you need to use a carbon-comp or wire-wound, and a fuse (which should be there anyway, but often isn't).

The other recipient of the surge current is the circuit itself. If it's a good quality type, the electrolytic smoothing capacitor should cope well enough (when new), but it's worth making the zener (or whatever shunt device you're using) a relatively chunky sort. Again, not commonly seen on this sort of cheap tat.

In short, cheap capacitive droppers are guaranteed to fail, and not necessarily safely - and the circuitry being powered is likely to become "collateral damage" when this happens. At the very least a fuse should be added so that you're not relying on a film resistor to interrupt what could be a serious amount of energy.

Personally, with these sorts of cheap and cheerful Chinese things I like to - at the very least - replace the cheap dropper cap with a decent X2 type and replace the series resistor with a carbon-comp type. Did I also mention adding a fuse

I've got projects here with capacitive droppers that have been working for 20+ years continuously - for those, I used BC (now Vishay) MKP338-4 types, and would happily carry on using up my stocks for my own use. Today, for a new design I'd use Vishay F1772 types - these are still X2 types, but are sold as "high stability" with series connections in mind - so they are, by design, immune to the falling-capacitance problem (although the MKP338-4 seems to be fine in my experience), and it makes the issue of dealing with surges much easier.