View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2018, 8:30 am   #26
Cobaltblue

Default Re: BVWS Summer 2018 Bulletin

Hi Rich

I haven't had time to even open my bulletin yet but I can be certain that the BVWS is not out to punish the average member.

Unfortunately you cannot have rules only for people you don't like and only see a business opportunity.

If you stand on stage with Mike or work on the bring and buy you will soon get to know who this is aimed at, they know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

And there is the crux of the problem there are also some knowledgeable and serious collectors who like to keep a small core collection who just like to restore more sets than they can keep. They can and do resell within the BVWS but often to do so would mean a big loss often a £5 set is still a fiver in the auction even if you spent a tenner restoring it.

It is a tricky path and those out to make money know how to twist and turn to dodge rules.

I don't keep records as where every set came from and I have had many for more than 40 years I will continue to put sets on the B&B offer here and on Ebay knowing that any transaction were to be investigated it would be done so fairly.

I still remember the awful problems of the late 80's and 90's and that was pre Ebay.

You have to consider the society's aims.

I have been a BVWS member since the mid 80's

In real terms classic sets are still relatively cheap compared to the heady prices of the late 80,s however they have recovered enough to encourage some entrepreneurs. And the big money is denuding sets of their triode for the Audio market, hence why Mike always announces the presence of same to ensure the dealers have to pay the maximum price and encourage real enthusiasts to out bid them.

There have always been dealers in the BVWS and pre Ebay days they helped to bring in new fresh stock. So this is not an anti dealer thing many of whom pre date the BVWS itself.

This just my take on the situation and I am not representing the views of anyone except my own.

Cheers Mike T