View Single Post
Old 12th May 2010, 8:03 pm   #8
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.
Default Re: Philips Factory Croydon

During my stint at Mastercare one of my colleagues was an ex Philips engineer who had worked at Croydon and Lowestoft. He did night shifts working on new sets that came off the production line faulty. He was there during the G6/G8 era at Croydon and the Pye dual standard 691 days. Everything ran pretty well at Croydon and he can remember the day that a smudge was noticed on the BBC testcard F transmission, a call to the BBC from the management soon had this put right. Croydon was in complete contrast to the Pye Lowestoft factory where stoppages were all to common with disipline non existent. On the nightshift he and his mates would have to take cover as the rival gangs on the production line would have running battles throwing valves at each other often ripping them out of new completed sets. I think he said that he managed to transfer back to Croydon factory where they enjoyed far better industrial relations. Unfortunatley this engineer died a few years ago taking to the grave many stories from his past including those years spent at Philips.