View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2020, 6:14 pm   #5
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Default Re: Thorn 1590 set HT procedure

Good afternoon,
Many thanks for the link Restoration, That has all of the useful servicing information.

This was an Ebay purchase and only 2 miles from our house. It was pretty dusty inside which was a good thing. luckily everything has been kept dry and the vacuum cleaner and 1" paintbrush soon took care of that. A careful tweak of the set HT pot and a tweak of the height pot brought the raster to the correct size. The remaining dust on the 10 ohm dropper in the power supply made a smell but all was ok. The 4 channel tuner on these Thorn sets can be troublesome but on this example it works faultlessly. The cabinet was given a once over with a damp cloth. Even the aluminium brights on the tuner knobs which tend to fall off are all there. It does give a very good account for itself.

I connected my 625 line RF modulator to a HDMI to baseband video/audio out converter and connected this to my computer so I can play Youtube and DVD's through the computer to the television.

This particular model was the first television our family had and it remained for many years and it was eventually dumped with power supply and dried up electrolytic capacitor issues and a black plastic Sony Trinitron on a stand replaced it in the early 90's

Christopher Capener
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dust 1.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	218254   Click image for larger version

Name:	dust 2.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	218255   Click image for larger version

Name:	bbc2.jpg