View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2019, 7:23 pm   #12
John Wakefield
Triode

Default Re: H Gee - Cambridge

Thing is it's a throwaway society these days, no one repairs domestic electronics and many appliances are fitted with anti tamper screws so can't be taken apart easily.
Back in Harry Gee's heyday TV's and radios had lots of individual components resistors capacitors transistors etc, these days all integrated circuits. They are so cheap to buy new that repairs are not cost effective anyway.

I worked at Pye in the 60's & 70's and like most other big companies they were controlled by accountants, a stock take each year with 1000's of parts skipped. There was another local scrap/salvage dealer Harry Coilins (if I remember his name correctly) he used to take the higher value parts transformers motors etc. Store them in his shed and then sell them back to Pye when they found they later needed them to service/repair customers equipment.

Cambridge like the rest of the UK no longer has any big electronic manufacturing companies!

Sadly I cant see a market now for the parts that Gee used to stock, in fact the shop had been running down for some years, not replacing stock. Even Maplin went bust, leaving only RS Components and Farnell trading on line.