View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2018, 11:01 am   #3
PJL
Dekatron

Default Re: Need help identifying old capacitor from 1930s radio

I am rebuilding a similar capacitor box from a Columbia that has 10 capacitors inside it. The block in yours contains multiple capacitors that are wired to the tags at the top. You cannot leave the old capacitors in circuit as they leak (behave like resistors) and can overheat or at the very least stop it working properly. It looks like someone has made some recent changes as there is a modern electrolytic in there so it is possible someone has already taken the box apart.

If it were mine, and the fact it is still bulging, I would rebuild the block but be warned that it is messy work as the block looks to be filled with bitumen. Take plenty of pictures before you dismantle it and of course you need to know the value of each capacitor and the tags they are connected to before you start.

Then its a case of extracting the old capacitors and working out a way of fitting replacements back inside. Because you do not want to take it apart again I would use 630V film capacitors and not electrolytics.

PS: Post crossed with Graham, our recommendations are the same but I don't believe you would find any electrolytics in a 1932 capacitor block.