View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2019, 11:56 pm   #14
m0cemdave
Octode

Default Re: Marconi NS702 / 2207E, SN 623 (Atalanta type) receiver

Yes, pushing and pulling the knob effects a gear change and so it is effectivly a slow-motion drive, which also engages the Eddystone-lookalike scale.
The bandspread scale plate is made of Traffolyte and can be removed by undoing four screws. It can either be engraved, or written up with a drawing pen, to suit the user's requirements.

The radio is very well made, and includes a bimetallic strip capacitor for oscillator temperature compensation.

The case and front panel are isolated from the receiver chassis. The AC mains supply, built into the back of the case, uses a transformer and solid state rectifiers to supply 110V unsmoothed DC for the HT and the heater chain. The smoothing capacitors are on the receiver chassis.

The mains filter is substantial, and the 2uF capacitors will *definitely* need replacing with modern Y types. For one thing it would trip any RCD in the mains supply - and for another, in the event of a poor earth connection the case would float at 110V AC with enough current available to deliver a very nasty shock.

I will post some pictures when I have found the correct micro USB lead for my phone...it must be here somewhere...