View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2019, 1:50 pm   #53
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Oh for a time machine.

Living here in Chard, Somerset - to where we moved to about four years ago - has stimulated my interest in local history: there are many very old buildings here, especially in the High Street, some of which date from the 17th. century, and are remarkably well preserved.
This house is just over 100 years old - and has many original architectural features intact. * Soon after we came here, I set about flooring the loft - and found a few pages from the Times newspaper which had reports and photos about WW1: truly fascinating! I would dearly love a time machine to go back to circa 1912 and witness at first hand the comings and goings of the then residents of this house and the entire town and its environs. I have accumulated a large amount of literature & photos from and before that date to the present day, but that is no substitute for witnessing things at first hand.

* And this house has continued to keep me very busy: continual maintenance and restoration. And that - with other things - has substantially limited my time to pursue my hobbies, including reading and posting on this very Forum.

Al.