View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2020, 11:28 pm   #40
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Grundig TK 819 Any Useful Info

Decided to have a look at converting the mains input supply arrangement.

This unit has a 2 pin mains plug but without a mains cable. Not easy to source a suitable 2 pin socket to make a mains cable, so decided would convert unit to a 3 pin mini Bulgin mains plug.

Original 2 pin mains connector plug will be left fitted but disconnected.

Unwanted (by me anyway) Remote Control socket to be removed and replaced by the mini Bulgin.

Removed the Remote Control socket, it was quite a struggle, in there really tight.

I had no spare Bulgin plug (do have spare Bulgin sockets on mains cables) so had to pinch/borrow one from another of my TK 23s. I had measured up the Remote Control socket area the best I could, before removing it and also measured the Bulgin.

But when I went to fit the Bulgin, its outer diameter was a tiny fraction smaller than the mounting hole, so I need to make some sort of washer to go between the mounting hole and Bulgin to stop the Bulgin pulling through the hole.

The remote control socket has a sprung loaded switch in its base, which I guess is actuated when the Remote Control external plug is used. Looking at the schematic it shows a link across 2 pins of the Remote socket, which once again I guess is the switch that is actuated (opened) when the external remote plug is used (but this may not be correct).

So I need to double check the wiring to the schematic and restore the link, also make safe the other wires disconnected from the remote socket that will not be used.

A couple of Wima capacitors had to be disconnected to get the connector out so will replace them during the tidy up after fitting and wiring the Bulgin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Remote Control socket nearly out.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	197195   Click image for larger version

Name:	Remote Control socket out.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	197196   Click image for larger version

Name:	Remote Control socket removed form chassis.jpg
Views:	105