View Single Post
Old 15th Jan 2020, 3:23 pm   #34
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Grundig TK 819 Any Useful Info

Removed the other 2 snubbers, both in a bad way, the outer case on one falling apart when removed fully.

Had to first remove a few components (well cut off at one end) to access & then untwist the strong metal tabs on the metal snubber hold down clamp.

To get access to the snubber wires to unsolder at the relay (temporarily cut them off, so will do later) had to remove the adjacent ECC 81 valve and its metal screening can.

The valve and the can were stuck solid due to the tar like compound all around the valve base, so had to use hair drier to free it up.

Lots of small tar splattering all around, much can be cleaned with IPA plus elbow grease but for the more stubborn large deposits I resorted to a bit of cellulose thinners, did not want to use anything too abrasive, so as not to damage the lovely gold paint, some of which is starting to pit/bubble up.

There are 4 non electrolytic capacitors on top of the lower electrical section, that I will replace as a matter of course. No suspicion that they are bad, but would be difficult to access/replace them later when everything re-assembled. There are 2 quite large Frako electrolytics on the top section, I will check them out more when I get power on.

Unlike the "Exploding caps" post, my motor start capacitor (C38/C39) assembly visually looks in good condition.

The underside of the electrical section needs a good clean and a couple of Wima capacitors that are starting to show signs of splitting will be replaced, plus 1 large Frako that is splitting.

Would not normally do a wholesale replacement of the Wima/Frako etc paper capacitors, but on this occasion may consider it, as a lot of them look relatively easy to access.

Really impressed with the German Service manual where it has drawings and photos showing all the main components and also has component listings, this is much better than most German Grundig Service manuals and probably as good if not better than the few UK Grundig service manuals (that show this sort of detail) and on par with the USA Grundig Majestic documentation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	End of snubbers.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	197151   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snubbers coming out.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	197152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snubber remains.jpg
Views:	121