View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2019, 10:44 am   #15
David Simpson
Nonode

Default Re: A Hopeless Mahogany Case ?

Right enough, two other Dave's, mahogany & other similar hardwoods(Iroko & Sapele) are a joy to work with, as is oak, pitch pine & decent redwood.
Many of the crystal sets & early radios from the 20's, were boxed or cabineted in mahogany. Of Chippendale quality some of them, hence fetch huge prices these days.
I've quite a few metres of 7"x 1 1/4"mahogany unused planks for boat's decking, which I acquired in exchange for some diving work, plus more metres of 3" x 8" of ex distillery roof pitch pine collars, which I acquired in exchange for electrical work at a pal's farm. (there is a Sgt Bilko theme to many of my dealings for stuff).
I guess if I didn't have such an affinity for wood, I wouldn't spend so much time scraping, sanding, & re-varnishing knackered old boxes & cabinets. This thread hasn't been for blowing my own trumpet, but to encourage others(particularly younger guys) to take an interest in the cases/cabinets/boxes which contain many items of vintage radio & electronic equipment.

Regards, David