View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2021, 9:01 am   #1
DennisCA
Tetrode

Default Setting up external antenna for AM and FM reception?

I am not sure if this is the right place to post, but I think the people here would be the ones with most knowledge of radio antennas and setups.

Some background, I live in a newly built house (2013, we built it, well with a contractors help) and it has coaxial network for TV and FM radio with outlets in most rooms. It's connected to some far away central antenna but it's just used for digital TV transmission. They have stopped sending out analog FM radio and I don't watch TV. So I have no use for the central antenna hook up.

Instead I want to make my own mast for my own house and install an FM and AM antenna. I want to connect this to my houses existing coax-network so I can get AM and FM signals out of the walls and get better FM and AM reception. AM reception in particular is really bad indoors, but I enjoy tuning in far away AM stations. I have a receiver with FM and AM ports on the back.

I have a general idea of installing a mast on my roof, install an FM and AM antenna on the mast, then run the signals from the antennas via a coax cable into the network central of my house and replace the old non-functional central antenna hookup with my own antenna.

I am also thinking that since I have two outlets, one for FM and one for TV, but the TV outlet is not used, could I repurpose it for AM signals? I know there are FM/AM band splitters so I was thinking of having one of those in the network central and run FM signals to the FM outlet. I bet there is a splitter there now that separates video signals from radio FM signals.

Does this plan make sense or am I overlooking sometihng? Also what kind of AM antenna is better, seems there are long wire and loop designs. The loop is more attractive for being more compact, it would look quite ugly with a long wire antenna unless it could be camoflaged?