View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2021, 6:54 pm   #11
TIMTAPE
Octode

Default Re: Are Ceramic Tools Essential?

Designing a cassette deck with a front panel azimuth adjuster could be tricky for the manufacturer because the head moves forward and back and so does the relevant azimuth screw. Often the screw is only accessible when the deck is in play mode so you can't leave a small adjuster screwdriver attached to the screw without doing damage. By contrast, open reel deck heads are stationary, making things simpler. For easy regular adjustment of azimuth it's probably either one of the rare Nakamichi models with the adjuster built in, or some other mod to an existing deck. Even cutting away part of a panel so a small driver can remain permanently attached to the azimuth screw without fouling can be a great help.

I suspect regularly azimuth adjusting is often not done because it's too fiddly. That seemed like a good incentive to work out a way to make adjusting easier, at least having many cassettes to transfer. Making adjusting easier, and avoiding the expense, was the incentive I needed to make some mods myself. Ugly mod? Probably, but for me it's a tool, a means to an end, not an object of worship.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211023_020730.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	243974  

Last edited by TIMTAPE; 22nd Oct 2021 at 7:23 pm.