View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2021, 8:57 pm   #1
Julesomega
Nonode

Default Warning: Honda Generators on groups.io

I have had a few recent email invitations to join a new group about Honda generators. I have no interest in power generators but it now turns out these were sent by a member on the Kenwood TS-440 group who hijacked the membership list and mailed all members. It's likely that a few other members here are on the TS-440 group so it's worth passing on some of the comments that have appeared on that group. The new group has several sub-forums for the many different models of Honda generators

Quote:
Hello,

You have been invited by iowagold2020 to join the Groups.io group main@hondagenerator.groups.io.

If you have questions about this invitation, send them to main+owner@hondagenerator.groups.io.

To accept the invitation, please reply to this email, or you may accept the invitation on the website. This link will expire in 14 days, on 10/20/2021 at 12:18pm CDT.
Quote:
I sent a reply back to "iowagold2020" along the lines of:
"Hi, thank you for the invitation which I am going to decline,
as I have zero interest in Honda generators or alternators.
The only alternators I have experience of <snip>
For that reason I am declining your invitation.

The result was a deluge of emails telling me I had been joined to a total of 13 or 14 sub groups. To get out of them I had to go into each email ad click "Remove me", then on another window so it was a long winded process that then filled my inbox with "you have been unsubscribed from ...." emails. A total time wasting exercise.
At that point I presumed I was out of the "[hondagenerator]" groups

But no, the next morning (Thursday) a whole new string of emails told me I had joined the same 13 "[hondagenerator]" groups.
This time a message was sent to "main+owner@hondagenerator.groups.io" and all sub groups; to remove me from all "[hondagenerator]" groups, and stop spamming our email address. (in CAPS)

This produced the response "i will raise that spam and ban you forever!"
The TS-440 group owner has posted that he had been away so he didn't see what was going on, and that he will now delete the topic from his group. I thought it might be worth issuing a warning here

It's good here