View Single Post
Old 17th May 2010, 4:21 pm   #1
mhennessy
Dekatron

Default Hacker Speaker Survey

Hi All,

My forum and web searches have been getting me confused, so maybe this will help...

Having just acquired the start of a Hacker collection, I'm curious about the speakers that were used. Specifically, I'm trying to work out if there was a concerted effort on Hacker's part to put different speakers in the VHF Herald and Sovereign II - this is because (a) these are the two main models I have, and (b) I've read lots of comments here about how the Herald is considered to sound better than the Sovereign. My initial observations would agree with this, but having just got my Sovereign going, I've stripped down the Herald - and am wishing I'd held on a while so I could have made detailed comparisons...

Anyway, here goes:

Sovereign II RP25 (27794): Goodmans speaker with a painted grey frame. There are no bolts in the magnet assembly.

VHF Herald RP37A (22003): Elac speaker, also with a grey painted frame. This has a large magnet - probably 3 inches in diameter, and produces much more low bass than the Goodmans above.

Looking at the various pictures on-line, the Goodmans seems to be more popular, and I've seen it fitted to both receivers. I've also seen another Goodmans with has 3 bolt-heads on the rear of the magnet. I've also spotted what looks like a Celestion model.

Don't feel you have to restrict yourselves to these 2 models - I also have a Hunter RP37A with an Elac, although this looks more like the Goodmans (albeit unpainted), and a Mini-Herald with a Goodmans speaker that is very similar to the model fitted to my RP25.

I realise that production shortages/changes, plus in-service replacements could confuse this

Thanks in advance,

Mark