View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2022, 11:06 am   #8
mhennessy
Dekatron

Default Re: Hacker Hunter RP38A tuning dial adjustment

Every Hacker I've worked on has needed an RF alignment. It's just how they are...

This starts with setting the pointer datum. This is always wrong. From the manual:

Quote:
Check pointer datum position and adjust if necessary so that the pointer coincides with the R/H end of the scale markings when the gang is at maximum (Fully closed).
I interpret that to mean the pointer is just on the verge of disappearing when at the right hand end of the scale. As mentioned, it just slides on the cord.

Doing that usually reduces the errors, so this is worth doing, even if you don't want to do any more. But the next step is to follow the procedure of RF alignment, and this needs to be repeated across all three bands. It is possible to do it with off-air sources, but it's much better to use an RF generator if you have access to one.

The adjustments interact, so it's an iterative process, alternating between the oscillator coil and padding capacitance. Once the oscillator is set, you then have to tweak adjustments for maximum sensitivity, which can be tricky if signals are strong where you live (that's one reason why an RF generator is better). These adjustments are also iterative, but are well worth the effort.

The procedure is detailed in the service manual. Unless it's changed recently, I believe that the only option from Paul's data is for the RP38, not the A model, so I think it's OK to point you towards the Hacker Radio group at groups.io.

Otherwise, aside from cleaning the switchbank and checking the two pre-sets in the audio amplifier, I'd leave it alone. The electrolytic capacitors are generally very reliable, so "innocent until proven guilty" rather than "change on sight". A low frequency rumbling noise that's present even at minimum volume could be caused by T1 on the amplifier board, or by the carbon-comp resistors surrounding it. Otherwise, these sets are very reliable, and obviously very nice to listen to, especially those with the Elac speaker.