View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2020, 10:51 pm   #1
RobGT390
Triode

Default HP 8552A / 8554L Spectrum Analyzer help request

Hello !
I have recently bought the above mentioned analyzer, it has been unused for many years and despite being told it was in working order I realized something was not quite right with it when I went to view it, I was going to walk away but the seller dropped the price so I thought I would take a gamble and see if I could repair it. I just love the old HP gear. It`s my first ever spectrum analyzer so I am in at the deep end.

When first switched on it appears to function normally and scans in all scan time ranges, it displays the 30Mhz calabration signal and the harmonics but after about 45mins of warm up time it will only scan when set in 0.1 to 5 mil/s range and the uncal light stays on, if I select any scan time range greater than that the uncal light goes off and the unit stops scanning, all I get is a 1" tall vertical line at the left hand side of the display. I am not sure where to start with the diagnoses so was hoping someone here might be familiar with these old units and might be able to suggest what area would be best to check first
I have removed the IF and RF units and separated them to clean the connector sockets and plugs, and cleaned the contacts on the rotary switches but still the same results
best regards
Rob