Old 14th Aug 2019, 9:41 am   #11
Beobloke
Heptode

Default Re: AR EB101 turntable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Kendall View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
The Connisseur motors should have enough welly to start the platter. They’re wobbly, noisy, vibratory, rarely turn in the right direction and are just generally appalling things, but they do generally have sufficient strength!

Rubbish. The BD1 was an excellent example of economy and fitness for purpose. At the time I got interested, I was able to assemble an excellent player for the princely sum of £25 - BD1, Lenco 75 arm, Goldring 800 cartridge. Allowing for a DIY ply plinth, that was real hi fi for what most people gave for an SP25. Now that really was appalling...
I'm sure the off-topic police will be along to close us down in a minute but before they do, we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one!

I still rate the Connoisseur BD1/2 as one of the worst turntables ever made. The sticky bearing, flimsy top plate, poor quality motor and the utter joke of a motor mounting mean I find the whole thing, frankly, laughable. Also, people like to talk about the small bracket and the rubber pip on the on/off switch that make sure it runs in the right direction and what a clever idea they are. Why should it need these? All other turntable manufacturers managed to make their motors run in the right direction!

On this particular subject, I've owned three BD1s and a couple of Strathearn turntables - the latter I'm sure you're aware are regularly criticised for running backwards. None of my Strathearns ran backwards, even when I tried to force them to; the second BD1 had a broken 'correction bracket' and actually spent more time running backwards than forwards, yet this is supposedly viewed as an an amusing quirk on these models - why?!

Your compasrison with the Garrard SP25 is interesting as, to me, this was designed by a proper engineering company with more comprehensive R&D facilities than many people realise and actually has many clever facets to its design. Obviously, it was built to a price so is never going to be a world-beater but I'd happily take one over a BD1 any day - the design of which, let's face it, was thrown together by an (admittedly, quite ingenious) bloke in a shed.