View Single Post
Old 11th Jun 2019, 5:17 pm   #21
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Default Re: Mullard 5-10 amplifier

Quote:
You're correct Pete in how the 0v connections are. How would you recommend rewiring it?
I am not an expert and I am sure others will chip in but in principle you want to achieve a star earth to a single point on the chassis.
In your amp I would start with the following.
Separate the HT power supply components from ground initially (only temporary), make sure that the 0v of the transformer secondary, centre tap or bottom of the winding, goes to the smoothing capacitor negative terminals.
Connect the smoothing capacitor negative to the star point. This ensures that the charging currents for the capacitors only circulate in the power supply.
Separate the heater centre tap from the HT secondary 0V on the transformer and take this point separately fo the star point.
The strip of Tin Copper on the terminal strip can probably remain but again separate it from the "daisy chain" and take it to the star point.
The centre spigots on the valve bases can probably go to chassis by the valve base mounting bolts, keep these short and local.
The input socket grounds likewise should go to starpoint.
I assume from the picture that the octal socket is for power to the preamp, if so the 0v from this should also go to star point.
If you have more than one 0V to the preamp avoid joining them together at the preamp end, this will cause a hum loop.
Hopefully this will give a good starting point but the most important part is separating the power supply and only connecting once to the star point.

Peter