View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2020, 12:57 pm   #36
donutty
Pentode

Default Re: Who is buying vintage TVs?

Thank you all for your contributions (but please keep the thread going!). It pretty much confirms my suspicions that in many cases people are realising that the old tellies are getting scarce and see them as something akin to classic cars or 'the next vinyl revival' and are speculating and accumulating.

Quite by coincidence and in line with the Selfridges reference, attached is a photo I snapped yesterday of the display window of a Sheffield menswear store. One of the other 'prop' uses for old TV and tech in general. Oh yeah - nice metal display stand feet scratching up the top bakelite !!

In an antique shop a couple of weeks ago I inquired over a vintage TV they had, and he would not budge on price (not even a fiver) and says he can sell them at that price all day long to shopfitters and the like who dress up the trendy new gastropubs with vintage decor (same also happens to nice old Singer sewing machines).

Also, have you noticed that (side effect of the internet for a good couple of decades now) many eBay sellers are now looking a lot more clued up about old TVs - "This one has the G8 chassis so I am lead to believe" so are trying to, as far as I can see it, appeal directly to the restorers / collectors market.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV22-shopwindow.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	198661  

Last edited by donutty; 9th Feb 2020 at 12:59 pm. Reason: Small observation