View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2020, 8:36 am   #33
Vectamart
Pentode

Default Re: Who is buying vintage TVs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100 man View Post
I imagine we all have our period in time which we view as our own 'golden age', dictated most probably by our ages. My interest is in late '50's, dual standards, valve hybrids through to colour in the '80's. This is entirely because that's what I remember and used to play with when I was younger.

I have watched with amazement the rising prices on Ebay and have wondered the same thing- who is buying them and why?

I think people such as us on these forums who wish to restore/ repair and periodically use these old sets account for a very tiny percentage of Ebay sales. Most of us probably wouldn't dream of paying several hundred pounds for a set.

There is a whole 'retro' thing going on at the moment driven by younger people. Anything that looks old is seen as 'cool', so to have a '60's TV in the corner is just the thing. There is no intention or desire to repair it or have it working. In essence it is just a 'prop'.

In fact, restored, working sets fall into a rather difficult market. The 'retro' folk don't need them working and the restorers don't want a set that has been restored. All the fun is in doing the restoration, not in owning the finished set!

It's interesting to see the sets that get re-listed time and time again with wildly optimistic prices.

I think that many sets are bought because people think it's a rising market and they can make money by reselling them. Speculation in other words.

Just my take on it all,
All the best
Nick
I agree entirely. The classic car market saw prices inflated by speculators who saw these vehicles as a hedge against inflation. Indeed, I have rejected an offer of £8k for my 1939 Wolseley 12/48 that I paid £2.5k for in 2006. Now, we seem to be witnessing a very similar scenario with TVs. Ten years ago, the only TVs that were routinely changing hands for silly prices, e.g. £300 were Bush TV22s, etc. in good cosmetic condition. Personally, I think that no genuine restorer would pay such outrageous prices as those seen on Ebay unless he had more money than sense!

I would need to have more front than Selfridges to try and get £100+ for a 1970s/80s monochrome portable!