View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2020, 8:23 pm   #30
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Re: Who is buying vintage TVs?

I've been looking on ebay for just over a year or so now, and in that relatively short time, the prices have risen quite a bit, even for your average monochrome 12" portable - no one seems to really want those. Colour portables seem to sell, but after a little while of being for sale.

It does definitely seem that it's woodgrain sets that are desired at the moment. There's usually a 1980s-90s Bang and Olufsen set for sale, with wood grain, and I don't think I've seen any of these not sell, but those without woodgrain seem to struggle, I managed to get a complete, working 3802 for just £10 because no one wanted it, whereas similar chassis and era sets can go for so much more.

There's definitely more 1970s colour sets for sale now, than there has been previously. Monochrome sets seem harder to find now. People are probably realising the "values" of these sets, and digging them out from the backs of lofts, sheds and garages and trying to sell them, in hopes of making a fair bit of money. All it takes is one seller to post one with an optimistic price, then others follow, and soon they're all asking for way more than it's worth. People are most likely thinking they're more valuable, digging them out from the backs of lofts, sheds and garages, and trying to sell them in hopes of making a dair bit of money from them. The most expensive I've seen sets sell for are in the £800-£1000 mark for 1960s Baird colour sets.

There must be three markets for CRT sets, retro gamers are more in it for performance and inputs rather than design, the retro enthusiasts/trend followers are more for the looks of the set (and probably don't plan on using them) and then there's us restorers and collectors.

There's also that trend of gutting them and making them into fish tanks and drinks cabinets.

'77