View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2020, 4:56 pm   #8
jsbhavsar
Pentode

Default Re: Restoration vs Improvements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychMan View Post
I wouldnt call it a flaw, As I understand it, Ferrite rod antennas were about getting the best antenna into a small space. At MW band frequencies, decent wire antennas can be very long indeed. In practice, electrically shorter antennas can often work quite well, depending on what you are trying to receive. Long wire antennas can work very well, but are more subject to picking up electrical noise from other devices that unfortunately are now everywhere.

Ferrite rod antennas respond to the magnetic component of electromagnetic radiation and therefore pickup less noise, and its possible to rotate them to null out sources interference because they are directional, same with various forms of loop antennae, so they can work better in modern environments.

Of course at shortwave frequencies long wires can be much shorter and easier to locate.

If you want decent MW reception, why not look at constructing an active loop antenna and a way to couple that into your antenna input on the receiver. You will get a decent low noise antenna in a compact space and keep your radio original. Lots of guides and videos online, but essentially you need lots of wire, some kind of coil former frame and a tuning capacitor with reduction drive..

Or as stated before, active ferrite rod antenna. There are a few threads here detailing that...
Thanks. Appreciate a lot.

Unfortunately, given the living space issues in India, I am not looking at adding anything outside the radio, a tuned loop or whatever it maybe. It is an overhead to me especially when knowing that something can be done inside the set itself to meet the MW and MSW requirement, why explore something outside?

I am exploring ideas to do something that was intentionally or unintentionally left out in 1958-59 for whatever reasons.

A suggestion here from you to add a ferrite loop replacing the MW / MSW aerial circuit coil packs is welcome. I only want to ensure that ferrite may not interfere with the other SW bands. Ferrites might interfere with the other SW coil pack performance?

I like restoration projects that will improve things and remove original flaws and make radio sets sound better on all bands and make improvements even like adding low pass filters or something like that.

Adding 4 feet or 2 feet frame aerials is not a solution in space cramped India.
My Mumbai entire condo is just the size of the living room of most western countries. Frame aerials are out of scope. Very long wires of 25 to 30 meters long racing on top of the high rise terraces also not possible.

I am exploring "what can be done inside the set" to improve MW, MSW and SW41 well respecting the designers and not disturbing other bands?
A tough ask!