View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2020, 8:10 pm   #4
RobustReviews
Pentode

Default Re: Amstrad/Funai Transport Fault (VHS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiba tony View Post
Looked at your Utube video. Its a bit misleading, the head looks to be spinning slowly but that might be a strobing effect of the camera or something. Does the head appear to turn at the right speed when you press play? I worked on these a lot in the 80\90s. When you press ff\rw are you pressing stop or is the machine entering stop on its own? I seem to remember they don't have a conventional mode switch. We saw a lot of the Amstrad version (dd8800?), luckily yours is the top deck that is faulty. If ff\rw work ok I would be tempted to look for FG pulses from the heads. Try this, as soon as the tape has laced press the pause button, lastly does the tape counter work?
Both transports have been thoroughly cleaned and both have new pinch rollers and belts.

This is the first and only VCR I've ever worked on so difficult for me to say, I can get the frequency from the test-point of the head for rotation speed if that's useful?

Both decks do the same, I switched the most problematic transport to the top, the other one does this about 50% of the time, rest of the time it plays fine. Oddly I had another one of these for spares that was doing the same thing.

For clarity, press play, tape laces, capstan unwinds about 60mm of tape, take-up remains stationary machine then shuts down to standby. Press stop and the machine unlaces the tape without issue. Both fast forward and rewind drive perfectly.