View Single Post
Old 31st May 2019, 3:52 am   #8
audiomm
Pentode

Default Re: AVO VCM MkIII repair

This repair is turning into a mission. I put the brand new valve in - it (V2)provides the voltage for Screen - switched the Circuit selector to Test and checked voltages via the top panel. All screen voltages vary as they should when the Screen selector is switched thru the steps from zero up to 300v BUT only approx half the voltage appears.So dial up 100v and get 49v. Similarly dialled up 300v and got 148v. Is this correct or am I missing something obvious?
The Anode volts are approx 10% higher than Anode switch settings which seems about right.
Just out of curiosity I swapped the valves around and reset circuit selector to C - expecting to see needle move up to ~set mark, BUT the meter moved gently backwards? Swap the valves back and meter behaves and settles on the ~ set mark OK . That is weird.
Also set up the relay to trip when a short is detected BUT, if on top panel I short out C to A1 it trips when Screen is selected instead of A1 or A2. Conversley, if I short out C to S the relay trips only when A1 or A2 selected!
The original issue was an o/c relay coil and I am now wondering if a fudge had been done somewhere - maybe power supply board? I'll have a close look to see if I can spot anything obvious but would appreciate some pointers/clues as to where to head next. Thanks Mike