View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2017, 6:41 pm   #1
flake_e_lee
Retired Dormant Member

Default Sony MDS JE480. Hum.

Hi all,new here and in all honesty I signed up as this has me stumped, just being honest.

I play part time in a two piece group and the mini disc set up has and still is popular for guys like me to use for our backing tracks. Normally we use an Amazon Kindle/MP3 set up but I acquired a Sony MD player recently and 200 backing tracks with it.

So, it came as a non runner .It powered up but no output from the RCA connectors. Took it apart and the RCA outlet was loose into the board so I soldered those back in. Took the md player to the PA system and hooked all up RCA to RCA. Yes, the MD player works but with a bad 60 cycle hum which is worse when I put the MD player in standby.

It is a steel cased item and if I unplug the RCA plugs from the MD player I get no hum. I took it apart and as a process of elimination,I unplugged the ribbons from the drive and the control panel. The hum was still there so its one of two things, pre-amp section (this machine has no power-amp, it needs a seperate amp) or the transformer.

Any help to eliminate my hum greatly appreciated as this machine will be a great asset to us for gigs.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by flake_e_lee; 26th Dec 2017 at 7:06 pm.