Thread: R1132A receiver
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2019, 8:52 am   #10
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: R1132A receiver

Nobody's perfect Shaun. Patrick Moore was based at Selsey all his life, not that far from Bexhill. I've often regretted that I didn't go to see him.

I might have some R1132A bits "in the North" F A but I won't be there for a while. Along with that set, I had some rough PSU's previously scrapped [by myself] that I then rescued for a second time, when I realised what they were. I got the mains transformer out of a No 3 PSU unit for a member who had carefully restored one of those, then the TR burnt out.It was free but "heavee". I could only test the windings for continuity. He still took the £12 P Office gamble for shipping costs [we didn't know about cheaper couriers] and to my surprise, it worked under load.

The R1132A was a bit of a favourite as an economic early VHF Band II RX in the fifties/early sixties and [I think] for the 2 Metre [144 meg] Amateur Band. There were articles in SWM etc showing how to modify the coils. I believe that the use of 100-124 Megs for Aircraft Comms dates back well before this set from WW2-maybe to the RAF battery valve era? I used to Monitor Gatwick on 118 Megs here in the South twenty years ago or so [on my Nems Clarke 1500 Nasa Radio] and heard a few interesting things eg a pilot saying "Have an ambulance waiting. My passenger has fallen on board and broken her leg!" I presume that frequency is still in use as there was always a reluctance to change from English and AM on a safety basis?

Dave W

PS. On 21/12, Euro1951 posted details of what appeared to be a Ground Control Tower [at first] but it turned out to be just a 32A and PSU + a period box, on sale at an Antiques Emporium!

Last edited by dave walsh; 26th Dec 2019 at 9:20 am.