View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2022, 5:21 pm   #13
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Pye "Tulip" mic - how to get inside??

I've spent some time cleaning it up with detergents; the two plastic halves of the Tulip were nslightly scuffed in places but this has buffed-up nicely with Turtle Wax car-polish.

The chrome on the bottom shell of the tulip and on the grille-you-speak-into has some micro-pitting an d blemishes; I am hoping that a going-over with Solvol Autosol will remove the white 'bloom' that always seems to surround these pits and improve the overall appearance,.

I've investigated the cable and it did indeed have a break where it entered the base-stand; I've cut it down by a few inches. Ideally I would have replaced it but don't have any 5-core-with-one-core-screened cable.

The base looks a bit tatty - it's an aluminium diecasting and - as so often happens - the paint has lifted in places, allowing moisture in and causing the typical snail-trails under which is white powdery oxide. I am tempted to strip it and etch-prime/respray it - if only I can find the right green. Plasti-Kote 'Oxford green" is too dark - someone has suggested it might be Land Rover Green.... investigation continues.

Alas the little circular 'PYE' badge is missing.

As to the microphone insert itself, the underneath of the stand is marked

PTC4001
Type E.M.
Z 2400 Ohms.

and I don't forsee any issues using it with my AEL3030.

Fascinating that the Science Museum has one such microphone [albeit differently-coloured] in their collection...

https://collection.sciencemuseumgrou...one-microphone