Thread: HDMI Aurora
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2014, 6:36 pm   #1
wd40addict
Octode

Default HDMI Aurora

As Analogue outputs start to disappear from domestic HD TV equipment in time it's going to become difficult to feed an Aurora (and therefore a vintage TV) from any modern sources having only HDMI outputs. Therefore I recently purchased the eSynic 1080P HDMI Digital Signal to AV Composite converter.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/eSynic-Digit...pr_product_top

Which takes in HDMI, downscales it as necessary and outputs 576i (625 line PAL) Analogue.

As a side function it also seems to convert 60Hz frame rates to 50Hz allowing playback of US DVDs on the basic Aurora. However the motion is a little jerky when doing this.

Source may still need a 4:3 setting in its menu to avoid wrong aspect ratio. One of my devices needed this set, another gave the correct result even when set to 16:9! I guess it also won't be long before the 4:3 display setting disappears from menus as well.

Audio is quieter than with a standard source and the Aurora audio gain pot may need to be increased.

I don't know if it will ever be possible to build a proper HDMI in, 405 out Aurora as HDMI is a bit of an exclusive club with high entry costs. But this is a useful halfway house, it also allows 'vintage' 625 set to be driven from HDMI sources.

Regards,

Paul