View Single Post
Old 11th Oct 2004, 10:47 pm   #31
Mat

Default Re: Standards Converter/modulator info wanted

Are 405 enthusiast's really like hen's teeth, where i visualised we numbered hundred's in the U.K surely!... it occurs to me this may not be the case at all... would 1000 be a figure to bandy with?.

If less, then reason's for this should be asked by the few,... my view would be that many 405 enthusiasts are former tv or electronic engineer's who were initiated in the perhaps valve era,... my own self experience is : i never served an apprenticeship in the repair of tv but mostly was self taught albeit i attended college for 3 years City & Guilds 224 and obtained several certificates in electronic servicing, starting from say the earlier hybrid tv set's on to solid state, ceasing repair of all in 2001. ( 405 being the exception)

Some other enthusiast's may have liked electronic's as a hobby learning & making project's in say everyday electronics or other popular magazines some that are still available today, having said that perhaps the giant strides of today's technology has outpaced any interest left regarding 405 or dual standard tv.

405 magazine was excellent and provided everything needed to an audience that was not perhaps their in the first place!.

The B.V.W.S are a thoroughbred organisation for the collection and repair of audio " the lesser invention of video " that followed and accompanies it,.. still surely need's a pat on the back! .

Many young people may have read already about 405 tv but cannot repair one as all do require servicing, on the other hand it is probable that the majority have not,... only seeeking the internet for what is uppermost in the mind's of the young today that is " the present " and all that it entails, a vintage tv as a hobby cannot compete with today's entertainment.

What can be done to try and boost interest is the history of television shown through say the history channel on satellite tv or other's available with contributions from 405 enthusiasts showing their convertor's allowing 625 pictures to display on a 405 tv or the other methods that can be used.

I intend to place in my main library a poster for 405 line tv's with picture, details, and contact number any promising contacts wil be referred to this forum if they have a pc at home,... if not the public library can get people online

If the B.V.W.S needs more articles regarding 405 tv then i may have inadvertantly created one, any B.V.W.S member's reading this may if desired forward my thought's to them, my name and address is available on request.

Mat