Thread: R1481 set
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2017, 1:56 pm   #17
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default The R1481 Receiver

I bought one of these WW2 sets from a very nice and knowledgeable vendor at the Tonbridge Audiojumble on Sunday. He gave me a good discount due to it's aged condition, smashed signal meter and overall weight. It's a relative of the R1132A [I got one of those out of a skip in Liverpool years ago]. I wasn't expecting much info here but GeoffB17 started a thread "R1481 set" on 29/8/16 that covered quite a number of aspects. I then found an item on the web where the author said that his 1481 was [curiously] in a 1132 cabinet but that didn't seem surprising to me as it appears to be the same set with the former covering 65-86 megs and the latter 100-124. Then I looked on the really excellent VMARS site! At first I couldn't find anything listed but [on a hunch] went into the "RECEIVER R.1132A and ANCILLARY EQUIPMENT" heading. There are three chapters listed. The first is 20- pages on the 32A [great] but the second re the 1481 doesn't seem to be there. The third has no title. I downloaded half a dozen of the 32a pages anyway but now can't find it again-it must be me I thought it might be worth posting my story just in case anyone has any further info or references re this relatively rare item [£4/19/6 from Clydesdale in October 1949]. I'm presuming there will be something in the Wireless For The Warrior series? VMARS clearly has a separate 1481 manual but I do appreciate the size of the task they face in trying to get all their unique info on line-thanks guys

As a related aside and re previous ongoing discussions, the gentleman at Tonbridge further confirmed that brand new equipment was destroyed after WW2. He told me that he lived near a Military camp and that three pits were filled in. One contained valves, another radio equipment and the third was transport related. He said someone dug into that one and many feet down, came across boxes containing unused motor bikes!

Dave W

Last edited by Station X; 4th Oct 2017 at 2:02 pm. Reason: Threads merged.