View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2017, 4:34 pm   #15
Philips210
Nonode

Default Re: Thought this might amuse you...

Incredible! That's one of the best lash-ups I've seen. Heath Robinson springs to mind.

It seems strange from a logical point of view. The 'repairer' finds that the supply rectifier is faulty, replaces it and doesn't fully resolve the problem. Surely he should've thought to himself could the replacement be faulty or in this case be completely the wrong type? Instead, he undertakes an elaborate bodge. I'd be interested to see if he actually succeeded with this mod.

I've come across a number of bodges over the years. I remember a BRC 1400 having a huge replacement W/W resistor hanging on thin wires from the mains dropper where one section had become o/c. Another one I saw involved a hewn piece of wood wedged between the chassis and line linearity coil in an effort to stop the whistling (magnetostriction). Silver foil across fuses cropped up a few times. Also badly joined mains leads where the owner wanted to extend the lead. With VCRs, the owner oiling the mechanism was another nightmare to deal with. All good fun!

Regards
Symon.

Last edited by Philips210; 31st Oct 2017 at 4:42 pm.