Thread: R1481 set
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2016, 11:17 pm   #2
trh01uk
Octode

Default Re: R1481 set

Geoff,

yes, the R1481 was a rather rare variant of the much more common R.1132 receiver made for the Air Ministry. The R1132 was used as the ground end of the ground-to-air links to fighter aircraft during WWII and later, and it worked on 100 - 124Mc/s.

As you say, the R1481 worked between about 65 and 85Mc/s. And that's the limit of my knowledge of it. The R1132 had a matching transmitter (the T1131), but I am not aware whether there was a similar variant of this transmitter made to work with the R1481.

There is scant information about what the radio spectrum was used for during WWII. Not surprising really since such information would have been well up the "secrets" list. So its difficult to say what this receiver was intended to do. Short range, temporary radio links on VHF were not uncommon in WWII, and that might have been one use for it. But that is pure guesswork on my part.

Pics and details of the R.1132 are easy to find, and here is a useful page on that receiver here
I doubt whether your grandfather would have tried to modify the set to cover the short-waves, since its bandwidth would have been far too wide to be any use at those lower frequencies.

Richard