View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2019, 12:38 am   #9
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: Analogue Teletext Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston_1 View Post
There is no such thing as analogue teletext. Teletext is and always has been digital, even when added to an analogue TV channel. It’s proper name is world service teletext.
WST is alive and well in much of Europe and can easily be received with a cheap satellite receiver on Astra 1 at 19E. Try German or Italian RAI channels. To be authentic feed to a modulator then your Toshiba.

You can make an argument that VBI teletext is digital or analogue, it depends on your viewpoint. I seem to remember that the specification defines a "raised cosine" waveform, the front-end of the decoder had a very analogue looking "slicer" to present a more truly digital signal to the decoder proper, and the quality of the VBI pulses was measured by a very analogue technique called "eye-height".

I suppose when people say "analogue text" they simply mean that which was carried on analogue TV as distinct from the MHEG text carried on digital.

The chip-set in old Sky boxes was capable of locally inserting VBI text into the CVBS waveform (not sure if it was present via RGB), but the last time I saw it in operation there was little more than 888 subtitles.