View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2021, 1:55 pm   #1
ronbryan
Octode

Default How should a tuning dial glass be scanned?

I had a GEC BC563 AM/FM radio with a tuning dial glass broken at one end that had been glued with the broken bits misaligned. These dials are not very well retained and can fall out when dismantling the set - there is even a warning of this in the service manual, should you read it before dismantling!

I cleaned off the old glue, stuck it together with glass superglue and touched in the break lines with Tamiya model paint, but decided it would be a good idea to scan it and edit the image with Photoshop to disguise the cracks in case the repair failed in future.

The question is how should it be scanned so that a replacement could be made? With my Canon 8400F A4 scanner, if you put the scale directly on the scanner bed glass, you end up scanning the internals of the scanner through the clear portions of the scale. If you line the bed of the scanner with white paper, the scale calibration does not show up. Equally, if you line the bed of the scanner with black paper, unsurprisingly the clear sections scan as black, so are not transparent. Is there a way round this problem?

Ron
Attached Files
File Type: pdf File0025.PDF (688.7 KB, 145 views)
File Type: pdf File0026.PDF (632.5 KB, 106 views)
File Type: pdf File0040.PDF (735.5 KB, 109 views)