View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2019, 9:53 pm   #1
ajgriff
Nonode

Default The Marmite HH - Helping Hands

Inspired by the acquisition of an excessively large number of Lidl alligator clips and the exhaustion of another jar of Marmite I’ve added a second fun product to what is now known as The Marmite XX range.

Some years ago I borrowed one of those cheap ‘helping hands’ devices to see if it would prove to be a useful aid when soldering and tinning small components. Unfortunately, I found it fiddly to set up and rather unstable into the bargain. The magnifier just got in the way and the soldering iron stand was surplus to my needs. At the time I felt that it should be possible to construct something more practical and, after an overly long gestation period, The Marmite HH has finally arrived.

This is a simple little device consisting of not much more than the jar, a couple of lengths of single core ring main wire, four alligator clips and some ballast. Hopefully the photos illustrate the construction method adequately. The ballast is Fuller’s earth cat litter but dry sand would be equally effective. I used Gimp for the label artwork although using the term ‘art’ may be stretching things a little.

The fourth photo shows The Marmite HH assisting with soldering a resistor string for an HV probe (another little project that has endured a long gestation period) and the fifth photo represents the current extent of The Marmite XX product range. Like its predecessor the HH is proving to be a useful addition to the bench and I’m hoping that the arms will last reasonably well without premature breakage due to stress fractures.

I’m sure that other forum members will at some point have constructed their own soldering aid. However, I’d be surprised if there are many out there with the sleek lines of the classic Marmite jar. Love it or hate it, I hope that the Marmite HH brings a smile to the faces of a few fellow eccentrics.

Alan

PS, The Marmite VR companion product is described in this thread:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=153159

STOP PRESS: Each Marmite XX product is now supplied with a self-adhesive non-slip pad for the base.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MMHH Internal.JPG
Views:	336
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	185479   Click image for larger version

Name:	MMHH Front.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	185480   Click image for larger version

Name:	MMHH Rear.JPG
Views:	313
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	185481   Click image for larger version

Name:	MMHH at Work.JPG
Views:	362
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	185482   Click image for larger version

Name:	MMXX Range.JPG
Views:	335
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	185483  

Last edited by ajgriff; 21st Jun 2019 at 9:59 pm.