View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2018, 9:46 pm   #9
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: What vintage equipment did you actually use today?

I wake up to my Roberts R606 on a timeswitch, tuned to "Heart FM", then when I get up I head to the kitchen, turn on my WWII Pye PCR and listen to something like Voice of America on shortwave while the first coffee of the day brews.

By 07:00 I'm off walking the dog for a couple of hours, so no radio.

When I get home I fire up either my Racal RA217/MA323 or the Yaesu FT897D and have a tune around for 30 minutes or so (aided by another coffee brew) to see what's going on on the HF bands. Then breakfast!

If HF is good, I'll maybe work a few stations on 7 or 14MHz; if not I tune the Roberts R707 to Classic-FM for some background daytime musical pabulum.

Later, again I'll check HF. Right now I'm listening to a net on 5MHz but the participants and content's not really something I want to engage in. If it had been, I'd activate my Clansman PRC320 for a chat.

Bedtime - the R707 is again Classic-FM on the timeswitch set to turn off about 00:30 by which time I _might_ be asleep.

At weekends, the morning listening is around 6.2-6.4MHz because that's when the interesting shortwave free-radio stations come on. I've got a dedicated Eddystone 840A and quarter-wave wire antenna as a bedside radio specially for them.