View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2018, 6:30 pm   #80
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: FM to AM Converter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Glennon View Post
Hi again, I was just thinking that it would be great if we could get a readout of the FM stations as they come up. Maybe this is not possible as I am sure this was thought about before now. It is great as it is. Regards, Dick.
Guy Fernando designed it to be a simple 'no frills' converter, originally for an aunt to be able to hear her favourite FM station on an AM radio. He was encouraged to write it up for the BVWS Bulletin, as indeed he did. I think that while ever Guy is willing to supply the PIC, the converter will continue to attract interest, as does the Mini-Mod.

There is the other option Dick if you want a tad more 'sophistication' - use one of the little digital FM radio units complete with remote control as the 'front end' of the converter, and the modulator section of the original FM/AM converter, as referred to in this thread:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...=149908&page=3

The unit has digital readout, Bluetooth, a USB port, 'aux' input and a port for a micro memory card. About a fiver on ebay on a slow boat from China, or £7.00 from a UK 'drop shipper'.

I've bought one of the units just for fun, and am still furtling about with a PCB layout based on feedback in the thread above, but Derek, 'Coopzone' made his using perfboard and had it working in no time at all.

For me, it's 'work in progress' and if I have any success, I'll report back in the other thread.