View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2019, 7:08 pm   #100
ORAWA01
Hexode

Default Re: Antenna recommendation for 40 and 80M bands

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Duncan View Post
Yes forget the Electrical installations, lets get back to the real project
I am pleased that you are taking the time to try different antennas, difficult to compare as propagation changes so quickly, what is good one day can easily be poor the next.
When we were testing antenna designs we had a huge antenna farm and was able to switch between many antennas types to achieve factual comparison readings
At our club house we have verticals for 80 and 160 meters, large matching coils and variable capacitors housed at foot of masts.45 ft high with four hi_hat radials which are part of the support guys
Fan dipole for 80/40/20, , good results, no ATU
We also use a hexbeam,on a 60 ft tower, wind has wrecked it twice so we have redesigned using stainless steel instead of aluminium quite good.
We have a Loop antenna and find it good for 20 meter dx
Hustler 5 band vertical, works fairly well but not fair to compare with our other antennas
The propagation is quite different from the 80 M vertical compared to the 80M dipole
The height of your antennas and type of ground change the resonance frequency ( capacitance between ground and antenna)
Keep up your interest and let me know when you get " on air"
cheers
MM0HDW

Yes, this is true. I still have the 20m long power cable from caravan in the loft. When switching between the loft wire and outside wire V, the reception on 80M is totally different.

On the loft wire, most of the 80M is not readable due to high level of band noise, when switch over to the outside V, the noise clears, and reception is very clean.

But on 40M band and above, the loft wire is better maybe due to the height.

Please let me know the usual freq. and also time of the day you are on AIR on HF, and I will listen out for you, and will give you shout. cheers.