View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2018, 10:36 pm   #8
Superscope
Octode

Default Re: Meter Suggestions for Basic Alignment/Calibration

Dave,

That's an interesting alternative to look at.
Although, I don't have any reference Voltages, having always relied on a Meter instead to provide references when I needed them.

Sinewave,

I have a Fluke 89, but it only has a 1uA Resolution.
Not a lot of use for AVO 8/9 Meter Movements. Ok for the older AVO's though.

Actually, worse case senario with a stated Accuracy of 1% Measured +-2 Digits, with a 0.1uA resolution, you could be up to +- 0.575uA out.
That's 1% (at 37.5uA) = 0.375uA + the Two Digits which is +- 0.2uA Totel = 0.575uA

Going forward, I don't really want to be setting up my Meter Movements with that level of uncertainty.
I wonder what equipment AVO used back in the Day?

Peter,

The 37.5uA is pretty Critical, and I would like to achieve an Accuracy of +-0.1uA if at all possible within my price Range.
Bearing in Mind, this is for setting up accurate (Relatively speaking today) Test Equipment.

It would also allow me to re-check some AVO's which have been set up with my old Meter, whos accuracy was, well probably uncertain.

One option I was thinking of, would be a 0.1uA Meter and a Calibration Certificate, but what exactly does a Calibration Certificate tell you?
If it only tells you the Meter is within Spec, it doesn't really tell you anything.

and finally, G6Tanuki,

I think I would trust most of my old AVO 8/9's over any Screwfix offering!

Seriously though, the point here is the restoration to fully working order of Vintage Equipment. Very few people actually use AVO meters in anger these Days, although I try to use them where possible.

I do occasionally lug a Model 9sx out to the Car for a bit of Fun.

Ian