View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2018, 6:02 pm   #4
ITAM805
Nonode

Default Re: Replacing bearings in a TEAC

Bearing replacement turned out to be not too difficult with the right tools, primarily a small puller.

Disassembly. Desolder the 4 motor leads from the PCB, noting their position. Remove the 2 brake band cover screws and take it off. With a sharpie, mark around the 3 screws that hold the brake assembly (to aid refitting) then remove them and take it off complete with the wiring harness. Loosen the set screw and work the brake drum off the shaft.

With the motor now free of the machine undo the 4 long set screws and separate the motor body.

The reel table mounting boss initially would not budge so I got the blowtorch on it for about a minute after which it slid off smoothly. Turned that there was some sort of Loctite holding it. The bearing was tight on the shaft even with lubricant and the little puller looked like it might not manage, but it eventually came off.

Removing the rear bearing proved more difficult. Unfortunately the puller reach was too short and the bearing had a too small gap behind it to allow my bigger puller legs to fit. But I had a Baldrick moment, I placed a spanner under the bearing and clamped the spanner to the workmate and then gave the shaft a few hefty taps, enough to eventually move the bearing down the shaft, allowing the puller to do the rest. Both bearings were now off
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 (Large).jpg
Views:	71
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	167307   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 (Large).jpg
Views:	72
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	167308   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 (Large).jpg
Views:	67