View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2018, 4:22 pm   #19
SWB 18
Pentode

Default Re: Ferguson 705T Phase II

Hello David,

My 705T came with its original “stand”, actually two pairs of legs, so if you need photos and dimensions of it to help with making a copy, as mentioned in your first post just let me know.

I had to do some major woodwork on the base of mine resulting from it being dragged along with the “stand” fitted at some stage, which had partially ripped out the stand mounting bushes.
As the bushes were originally fitted fron the inside of the case, I had to carefully cut away the splintered laminations of the plywood from the underside, until I reached undamaged layers. Then, after delaminating some old ply to get imperial thickness laminations, shape the new layer to suit the missing layer and glue that in place, repeating with the next layer once the glue had set.

It took a few days, on and off, to sort out, but you can’t tell what has gone on.

Also note that the top of the case is very narrow and only properly fixed at the sides, not above the speaker and controls. The top had started to come away on both sides on mine, so I ended up removing it carefully and regluing it and also its mounting blocks.

Some years ago I removed the top on my Ferguson “Goldenglide” 606T to refinish it, that too came off easily. Probably lots of heat at the top of the cabinet over many years helps to reduce the bond of the cabinet glue used.

Regards,

Phil.