View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2018, 12:00 am   #78
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Meter Suggestions for Basic Alignment/Calibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinewave View Post
If you want to set an Avometer movement to FSD, then how overkill is overkill to know that it's reading correctly at FSD? If I adjust the shunt on a model 7, shouldn't I know it's where it should be? How overkill is knowing that it's right?
If 'right' means zero error, then it never can be right. There will always be some finite amount of uncertainty.

If 'right' means within the maker's spec, then it can be done, provided the uncertainty on the standard is small enough. Effectively the measureent uncertainty uses up pat of the mker's spec error allowance. If the avo movement spec is say+/-1% and your standard has 0.1% uncertainty, then you want the avo to read within +/-0.9% when the current shows exactly the correct value on the standard.

For hobby use, for fixing radios you don't need much accuracy. But if metrology is your hobby, then that's a wholly different game. I don't suppose anyone deeply into metrology would use an avo.

David